Agreement for the Acceptable Use of the Port Washington-Saukville School District Guest Wireless Network
By logging on to the PWSSD Guest Network, you agree to abide by the following terms:
Content. Users of the PWSSD guest wireless network will receive filtered access to the internet but will not be provided with access to any internal PWSSD resources.
Bandwidth. Bandwidth for the guest wireless network is fixed. The district reserves the right to further limit or disable the bandwidth to ensure that adequate bandwidth is always available for educational purposes.
Personal Responsibility. The district assumes no responsibility for the loss of, theft of or damage to any personal device connected to the guest wireless network or any information on that device.
Security. Users shall not impair the security of the PWSSD network. This expectation includes but is not limited to:
1. Users are expected to maintain up to date antivirus and antispyware protection on all devices that are connected to the PWSSD guest wireless network. Devices without up to date security programs may be denied access to the network.
2. Users are expected to safeguard their guest wireless password until the account expires.
3. Users are expected to log onto the guest wireless network only with their account and not to allow others to use their account or to use the accounts of others, with our without the account owner’s authorization.
Limited IT Support. Users are responsible for setting up and maintaining the devices that they connect to the network. Technical support is not provided for general guest access, unless access is related to a specific educational purpose.
Inappropriate Use. The PWSSD network is a shared and limited resource and all users have an obligation to use that resource responsibly. Guests shall use the network only for activities directly related to the purpose of their visit to PWSSD. They shall not use the network for activities that violate school policy or local law. These include but are not limited to:
1. Online gaming (e.g., World of Warcraft).
2. Downloading software, music, movies or other content in violation of licensing requirements, copyright or other intellectual property rights.
3. Downloading, viewing or sharing inappropriate content, including pornographic, defamatory or otherwise offensive material.
4. Conducting any activity that is in violation of school policy or local, state or federal law.
5. Participating in political activities.
6. Conducting for-profit business.
7. Using hacking tools on the network or intentionally introducing malicious code into the District’s network.
8. Using any software or proxy service to obscure either the user’s IP address or the sites that the user visits.
9. Disabling, bypassing, or attempting to disable or bypass any system monitoring, filtering or other security measures.
10. Accessing or attempting to access material or systems on the network that the user is not authorized to access.
No Expectation of Privacy. The District can and does monitor internet access and activity on the District’s network, including but not limited to sites visited, content viewed and email sent and received. The District may examine a user’s personal device and search its contents if there is a reason to believe that school policies, regulations, or guidelines regarding access to the network or use of the device have been violated.
Disruptive Activity. Users should not intentionally interfere with the performance of the guest wireless network and the District’s overall network.
Unauthorized Networks. Users may not create unauthorized wireless networks to access PWSSD’s guest wireless network. This includes establishing wireless access points, wireless routers and open networks on personal devices.
No Use of Wired Networks. Users may use only the PWSSD guest wireless network. They may not attach personal devices to the PWSSD wired network.
Consequences of Inappropriate Use. Users who misuse PWSSD’s guest wireless network will be denied future access to the network, may be asked to leave PWSSD’s facilities and may be subject to legal action in accordance with applicable laws.
Limitation of Liability. The district makes no guarantee that the functions or the services provided by or through the district network will be error-free or without defect. The district will not be responsible for any damage suffered, including but not limited to, loss of data or interruptions of service. The district is not responsible for financial obligations arising through the unauthorized use of the network. The district is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of the information obtained through the network.